Friday, April 17, 2009

Is Simon Cowell's soul more tender than mine?

It can be so lonely when you're on the wrong side of a trend. Trust me, I've been there more than once. Many of my peers had closets full of Beanie Babies before fifth grade, and sure, I had a few, but frankly, they were too small to hug, too limp to assume much of a personality, and I was always a little overanxious about whether I should keep the tags on in anticipation of the millions that could await me in the future. I've never put my hair in a side ponytail, didn't feel threatened by Y2K, and haven't seen an episode of Lost, 24, or even Seinfeld. Better still, after four years at SU, I still have never donned a pair of leggings.

Which brings me to this Susan Boyle craze. In case you're entirely oblivious to pop culture, her audition from Britain's Got Talent has been all over the Internoodle, and I mean all over it. If you're just resurfacing after a weeks-long coma, let me first say it's great to have you back! Second, you can view the clip here. She sings beautifully, and apparently this is groundbreaking news for everyone because HOW COULD SUCH A LOVELY VOICE COME OUT OF SUCH AN ORDINARY-LOOKING PERSON?

Ms. Boyle is showing up in the Trends on Twitter. A fan site was created. Her name is the second fastest-growing search term in the world; there is talk that she might be the biggest YouTube sensation ever. Debates are flaring up about whether she should be made over, if it's true that she's never been kissed, blah blah blah.

I just don't get it. Columns at HuffPo and Boston.com go to great lengths to explain the phenomenon, and have me wondering if I'm the only one in the world who didn't have an earthshattering revelation when I saw the clip. There seem to be two basic schools of thought on the Boyle Bonanza:

1) When she shuffled out in her frumpy dress and nervously told the world that she lives with cats and volunteers with the church, the audience expected another formulaic "Let's-laugh-at-the-freak-show-with-big-dreams-and-a-small-brain" audition that would leave the audience giggling and the contestant humiliated. But lo! When we heard her sing, everyone realized how shallow they were for assuming a somewhat awkward, but otherwise regular-looking person wouldn't have anything to offer. Oh the soaring heights of humanity! We met the depths of our shallowness and then basked in the glory of a shared humanity!
Or...
2) We all relate to Susan. She reminds us we all have something to offer, even if as the Boston.com post quotes, "Without classic good looks, without work, without a spouse, living in a small town, people like Susan Boyle may not seem particularly 'important.'" That is, we all feel like Susan on the inside. And we all feel loved when the world welcomes us with open arms. Journey style.

Well okay. That's nice. Maybe I feel underwhelmed because I assumed she would sing well when I saw a link to the video. I still can't help but feel like I'm missing out on some of the life-affirming ecstasy that everyone else seems to be experiencing when they watch it. Will someone help me? Are people so sad that a spirited Scottish woman with a sublime singing voice can offer the perfect mix of escapism and hope to put the spring back in their steps? Have Lindsay and Britney disappointed us all so sorely that we want to handpick a new icon from the common folk? Or is this society's rejection of airbrushed, hungry models in favor of someone who looks like the neighbor we wave at but don't really talk to?

It's possible I've put too much though into all of this.

1 comment:

Megamoo said...

i dont get it, i thought paul potts was way more of a shock. Plus I hate that song