Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rare woodland creatures and waterfalls in Royalston, MA

A couple of weekends ago, with the mercury rising and a swimsuit sitting neglected in my dresser, Josh and I decided we were overdue for a trip to some type of waterfront. Unfortunately, swimming holes in the suburbs are few and far between. Those that do exist come with steep admission prices and far too many screaming toddlers. So, what better opportunity to cross another town or two off our list for Wandering Massachusetts?

We drove about 90 minutes to northern central Massachusetts, and as soon as we got off the highway, felt like we'd crossed into distinctly quieter, more rural territory. Our destinations were three Trustees of Reservations properties, two of them well-known for their stunnning waterfalls.

But on our way, I must mention, we saw an unfamiliar piece of roadkill. Much to Josh's surprise, I immediately pulled over, stopped the car, and threw it into reverse to examine the animal more closely. After snapping a photo and observing a moment of silence, we hopped back into the car, and shortly after, another nearly identical creature scampered across the street. We were unsure of what these were, but after consulting with wildlife experts, have determined them to be mink. If only I'd known! I could have been wearing some very fashionable gloves come autumn!


 So anyway, we headed to Doane's Falls and Royalston Falls, traversing some steep trails to take in stunning views of the waterfalls. I also requested a stop at Tully Lake Campground, where we awkwardly shuffled among families setting up camp to find a place to take a dip. (We couldn't find a map to point us to the actual designated beach area.) But that's okay! A stealthy swimming session is ever more satisfying.





The day's stops also included Athol, where we enjoyed subs under the shade of a huge American Elm in the quaint town center. We searched for Warwick, but were too afraid to take Mother's car down the rural, dirt roads, especially when the only signs indicating Warwick lay ahead looked like relics from the 40s. So we're counting it, because we remain unconvinced this town is road-accessible/exists. Add it to the list!

1 comment:

Gary and Peg Kirkpatrick said...

Nice pics! I love areas like that. What? No camping?