Saturday, October 11, 2008

No Tweeting at the Table

While attending some of a blogging conference in Boston today, an interesting topic came up at one of the break-out sections: setting limits for your personal connectedness. This question is more relevant every day- as people become increasingly latched onto iPhones, Twitter, Blogs, Facebook minifeeds and the even old standbys, cell phones and text messaging. Is it okay to play with your cell phone during dinner with someone at a restaurant? What about just making a phone call while walking with someone down the street? Do you really want your boss reading the e-mail you sent while she's in the bathroom?

And, have you ever felt that you've let technology supersede a personal relationship, even if it's just eating dinner with your parents when you haven't seen them in a while?

I found myself taken aback today, when I was interviewing someone, and she spent most of her time frenetically pounding at her iPhone. Maybe I am wrong in thinking there are inappropriate times to live-blog, even at a blogging conference? But even if I had the interview chops of this girl (which most days I do), it seemed a wee bit unprofessional.

Just curious what you think. I feel like I'm a bit more sensitive to this than some others, as I've been known to flinch at the slightest of techtiquitte-oversteps (I made up that word. Roll with it). Ever waited for a yapping sales girl to get off her cell phone? Had to stop mid-sentence while a date finishes a text? Or listen to the second stall's reactions to the every-gloomier financial doomsday while you're trying to go tinkle? Leave a comment instead of answering your mother's email

No comments: