Friday, October 17, 2008

Ruining your day with an election resource round up

One of my favorites, Joan Didion, with a blistering essay about this election cycle's failures and the deleterious effects of what she calls a national coma. (I'm not entirely won over by some of it, but it's certainly worth a read.)

Stomach-wrenching ignornace in Pennsylvania, that will make you embarrassed to live on the same planet as these people:


Five articles from the New York Times centering on racist Americans, best summarized in quotes on Gawker.

I'll spare you the rest, because if you find these items as depressing as I did, you'll need a few minutes to pour yourself a drink.

1 comment:

James Basha/\/\ said...

Two things to know about Pennsylvania:
1. Those people are the norm
2. Conversation overheard concerning the opener for squirrel season (Sat the 18th)
"I was thinking about going sober this year, just because there are so many people all shooting within a few feet of each other in tall grass"
"well you've never gone sober yet, why start now?"
"good point"