Sunday, November 2, 2008

Assigned reading

A round-up from where I've been on the Internet and what you might have missed.

A Rolling Stone profile of David Foster Wallace, famed author who killed himself in September after decades of battling debilitating depression. This is the most thorough, well-researched, and beautifully written profile I've read in a while. The piece is long, but more than worth it. I read it in two sittings and cried at the end. It makes for an absolutely aching look at a life that ended in a way that seemed inevitable to everyone who knew him, which is the most heartbreaking aspect of the whole story. I get the sense that the writer absolutely nailed this story in a way that happens hardly ever.

Someone put together a Sarah Palin's greatest hits video on YouTube, which I posted originally, but then I listened to this, and found out it was real. I actually feel bad for our Alaskan mental midget:




New York Magazine compiled a photo slideshow of the best doggy Halloween costumes. You can be the judge about which dogs you feel most sorry for.

And this week's "What the fuck" science moment, scientists want to put robot ants on Mars to build houses for us.

No comments: