Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wistful Election Roundup

I'll leave it to the pundits and analysts to delve into the numbers and statistics relative to Election 08. None of that is going to stick with me; I can tell you that now. What will are the memories of how it felt. All day yesterday, people were excited. They were smiling at the thought of going to the polls and casting a ballot, finally being allowed to say something, after years of watching the country slowly twist into something none of us wanted. The relief and excitement that swept over everyone when the results came in declaring Obama the winner was overwhelming. I sat on the couch next to my mother who cried from the second it was announced until Obama wrapped up his speech an hour and a half later. People screamed on streets, hugging and yelling, even diving into the occasional urban water feature . For me, this election was about getting back something we never should have lost in the first place: pride in where we're from and confidence that we have a government that is working for the greater good of the country and the world. And this is just the beginning. Obama makes people want to be better citizens. He already ran a pretty flawless campaign and mobilized voters to a point we didn't believe possible, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

In the meantime, I am going to revel in my memories of yesterday.  The electricity in the air when voters breathed a collective sigh of relief, the shared sense that we all have something to hope for, and a real chance at getting it, made me so glad that the first presidential election I could vote in, was one that has meant so much. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww connie - that was beautiful :) and 4 posts in a day - i am quite proud - 20 posts in 30 days pish posh

Anonymous said...

makes me so happy to read how much people really genuinely appreciate the magic of these historic events! Giyen

ps. Thanks for stopping by my blog!