Saturday, November 1, 2008

You're so vain, you probably think the Super Bowl is about you

A gal named Amy Borkowsky is single and desperately seeking a husband. She is in her 40s, and living in New York, where she says it's harder to find a guy than TV shows like Sex and the City make it seem. Her solution? Raise $3 million so she can advertise herself in a commercial during the Super Bowl.

This is a horseman of the apocalypse. This woman is asking people to give her money so she can advertise, and in my mind humiliate, herself in front of the tens of millions of people who tune in to watch the Super Bowl. In the LA Times article, someone criticizes her lofty goal, noting it seems like such an act of desperation; but I was struck more by the mindlessness of such shameful self-indulgence. What makes you think you deserve people's money? Have you exhausted every other avenue? How did you possibly arrive at this as a solution to your dateless existence?

Three million dollars is a tremendous amount of money. If Amy was so determined to get herself a public audience, I wonder if she ever considered something other than blatant self-promotion. The thought of this much money being given to a woman who wants nothing more to do with it than buy herself some ad time and try to catch a man, who's probably a six-pack deep, stuffing his face with nachos and salsa, is mindboggling to me.

I am glad to report she has only raised about $2,800, according to her official site. Now, I could maniacally rattle off some statistics about how many hungry people could be fed with a cool $3 mill, or how many children could receive life-saving medical treatment for conditions no one in the U.S. typically dies from, but tonight I am feeling weary of the world, so I am just going to paste a little image I Stumbled Upon recently. May it sock Amy in the gut as forcefully as it did me:




No comments: