Sunday, November 16, 2008

Body recovered among 25 years of old newspapers, receipts

I am an inherently cluttered individual. I leave piles of detritus everywhere I go, and I avoid putting things back where they belong. But it's all rather unintentional. I am not one of those messy people who has piles of mold growing in her refrigerator, or a litter of baby mice living undiscovered on the bottom of her closet. I just attract, create, and perpetuate clutter. I have trouble throwing things away-- for example, at any given moment, there are between 20-30 receipts in my wallet, none of which serve any purpose, as I don't generally bring things back to the store. I am not a sorter, categorizer, or organizer. To make it simple: I have piles of my crap everywhere, and I do not clean them up.

At school, because I've had roommates, and fewer things with me, I keep the mess to a (relative) minimum, by my standards at least. But when I come home, all bets are off. I am not trying to make excuses, but part of the problem stems from the fact that I just don't have storage space for everything I own. Admittedly, most of the problem is that I am too lazy to hang up my clothes. Consequently, I live among mounds of garments, some dirty, most clean, and sleep next to a desk that is filled with mail, reminding me of my financial burdens and, um, other financial burdens (Does Sallie Mae need to send me mail every day? I haven't forgotten, Sallie, I see you.).

Today I decided to fix things. Here is what my room looked like before I started cleaning:


Most of my afters came out too blurry, but here's a glimpse:



Room for old friends!


Ignore the trash can. I hadn't taken it out yet!



I have more to do, but at least now I can get out of bed without having to worry about losing a limb or my precious working eye ball. YAAAY for cleaning. I am pretty sure blogging about cleaning you room is the number one most boring thing to write about, but sometimes we just need to celebrate our small accomplishments, don't we? Sometimes, in the wake of quarterlife crises, the small accomplishments are the biggest ones we have!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was so confused when this post ended and there was nothing about a dead body. by the way, i love the rocker...i can see you sitting there with your monocle, sipping tea and enjoying a book.

paigedearing said...

HAHAAHAH i laughed out loud once i saw the photographs.

ps i'm happy to see you've cracked "zookeeper's wife" ;)