This week's selection, at Meaghen's suggestion, is "Taylor the Latte Boy," in honor of my burgeoning romance with Hottie McLatte. This song was practically written for our love affair. I saw Kristin Chenoweth perform this on the Rosie show back in the 90s, and it has been a favorite of mine and my mother's since then. (And yes, sometimes my mother does turn off what she so sensitively calls "slit-your-wrist music" for some lighter fare.) Here's Kristin singing it for my fave late night show host, Craig Ferguson. Enjoy.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
The gift of song
A quick shuffle through my Zune will reveal a few basic truths: I have a lot of classical and jazz music, a fondness for the occasional shameless pop song, and a heavy leaning toward hushed, melancholy music. I've made several mix tapes for people, and a frequent response is, "I liked it a lot, but it made me sooo sleepy." Maybe it's a subconscious effort on my part to lower my blood pressure and prevent future hair loss. And it doesn't help that I was raised by a mother who blared songs like this and this through the house on a daily basis. I am used to the morose. But sometimes, when I'm in a really sour mood, and don't particularly feel like wallowing in self pity all day, I wish I had a more uplifting, energizing library of ditties to chose from. And as the days get shorter, and we enter to the interminable stretch of a sunless winter, I think now is as good a time as any to introduce a new feature to my blog. Until now, I've recommend singing a few bars of "This Little Light of Mine" or "Pocketful of Sunshine" to the world-weary who have trouble crawling out of their cozy beds. But now, each week (negotiable), I'll introduce a new little song that will make your heart sing. Titles for this semi-regular column can be left in the comments section.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My mom is convinced that coldplay makes you slit your wrists. she refuses to listen to them. who would have thought?
Post a Comment