Saturday, November 15, 2008

Quarterlife Crisis, Part one: Kickboxing is out.

This is the beginning of the end. It is the fall of my senior year, and it's time to start thinking about jobs. Time to start thinking about where I want to live, what I want to spend the rest of my life doing, and how much money it will take to keep myself off the streets and out of my parents' house. I need to decide on a basic career path, or at least formulate some type of coherent answer to the question, "What do you want to do?" 

 The problem is, I have no idea. I realize that some people spend a lifetime figuring this sort of thing out. After all, I have a 57-year-old mother who says she still doesn't know what she wants to be when she "grows up." But graduation is approaching, and frankly, I can't envision myself doing much of anything. It's not because I feel that I didn't get a good education, or that I don't have enough experience getting my feet wet in semi-professional environments. Its simple.  I. just. don't. know. what. I. should. do. I don't know what I'll be best at. And I don't know will be best for me.

There is one thing Im sure about, and I didnt even come up with it myself. Lloyd Dobler, the man after whom I will lust for all of eternity, said in Say Anything,  I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.” (View a clip here.) 

Same for me. Of that much, I am completely, wholeheartedly sure.  That's good enough for now, right? 

1 comment:

paigedearing said...

JOHN CUSACK IS GOD'S GIFT TO EARTH.

job hunting anxiety is mounting. i don't want to work at a mall.