Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Everything's the same back in my little town

As you know, I took a semester off from college. I apparently took leave of my senses and thought it would be a wise idea to live at home for the fall. I could work and intern, all while making some money (not) and gaining more professional experience. While it was certainly nice to save myself a semester's tuition bill, other aspect haven't been so sweet.

I think I'm most tired of explaining what it is exactly I'm doing. People see me around town, and either a) think I dropped out or b) graduated and have done nothing but hang around and work the dead-end same jobs I always did. So I get a lot of hairy eye balls and awkward stares, and when someone asks and I explain the situation, they are disbelieving my story. How did I have enough credits to just leave? What am I running away from? They figure it's much more likely I got busted for something bad or failed out of college, shaming the family name.

The other deleterious aspect of this homeward sojourn is the toll it takes on my social life. Principally the problem is that I no longer have one. All of my friends are in Syracuse, and it's not exactly like my suburban bubble has a bustling nightlife scene. While downing a pint with the locals is certainly an option, I'm more of a "let's drink too much and embarrass ourselves in the company of strangers kind of gal." The hardest part of all of this is being apart from the people I like to be around the most. There are lots of times when I really wanted to relay an anecdote to Connie or complain to Paige about something related to the self-torture that is journalism. Thankfully there's the Internet, so we keep in touch, but sometimes I long for an afternoon spent in the cozy confines of Funk 'N Waffles wtih my nearest and dearest. And I am sure they really miss getting their butts whipped at Bananagrams.

To be fair, I've gained a few things by being home this semester. Mainly I have another line to add to my resume, this time a credible publication people will recognize. I dipped my feet in the churning waters of the real world, and depending on the day, my crippling lack of confidence in my professional future is either somewhat lessened or multiplied by a factor of 10. Stepping out of the protective bubble of a college campus has helped me think more critically about what I really see myself doing in the future. (I said it helps me think; I certainly haven't made any decisions.) I've realized I need to be honest, and not try to force myself into a career because I think it would be the easier, or "right" thing to do.

I have also read more books for pleasure than I have in the last four years at college. The two-plus hours I spend each day commuting allow me to read about a book a week. This may sound like a stupid thing to list as a pro of living at home and dropping out of college, but I certainly value it. And they say to become a writer, you have to read a lot of good writing, so I like to tell myself it's educational.

The last aspect of my somewhat-impromptu sabbatical (got fifteen minutes? fill out those withdrawal papers!) is that it has made me appreciate my college experience so much more. I'm not exactly a recruiter for Syracuse University, and at times I've been rather disenchanted with the whole thing. But after getting a taste of what life could be like after graduation (poverty-stricken, boring), I am prepared to live up my last semester to the fullest. This is our last chance to be irresponsible, to be surrounded by friends, and in a place where it's OK to routinely drink on school nights instead of taking a shower (don't ask). I am exceptionally eager to come back. I hope you guys are ready for me.

1 comment:

paigedearing said...

i am ready and waiting for you my little pumpkin. you have been dearly missed. please visit again soon. don't make me wait until next semester (OH HOW GLORIOUS IT WILL BE).